From the winemaker:
Sashi approached the 2015 vintage with a deviation in mind. 30% of the fruit fermented for 21 days un-crushed (whole clusters) in the carbonic environment of a sealed tank. The other 70% was immediately pressed as we did in 2014. The carbonic portion aged in neutral 500 liter Puncheons to soften and pick up further texture while the larger vin gris portion settled in stainless steel tank.
The combined wine possesses a bright red hue that compliments the copper stamping of our label. By adding the carbonic element, the rose packs depth of flavor and mouth feel into the wine’s light, high-toned frame. To add to the richness, Sashi made yet another surprising call – we bottled the rose without filtration after it naturally settled at 30 degrees for over a month (cold stabilization). Thanks to careful racking, the wine shows transparent and pure.
The 2015 vintage harkens back to 2012 and 2013, when we added a carbonic Sangiovese component to a lighter-colored Grenache. By 2014, we moved away from blending, as we like the two wines separate more than combined. We feel using 100% Grenache lends further purity to the wine.
A couple years ago, it seems all of America awoke to the joy of Rose. Finally gone are the remnants of white zinfandel and the notion that anything pink is sweet. The national wine market is hungriest for pale, Provence style roses, much like the wine we made last year. The demand for the slightly darker wines of the two prior vintages proved to us that people are open to richer pinks with more body as well.
I love the 2015’s bright refreshing quality. Its low alcohol (11%) means I can enjoy a bottle or two at the reservoir and still make it down the zip-line.
Why Carbonic Fermentation? Carbonic fermentation simply means the yeast must ferment sugar to alcohol without the presence of Oxygen. The result is an unrivaled freshness in wine that allows for immediate enjoyment. We kept the carbonic tank chilled and allowed three week for the slower, colder completion.
We love carbonic fermentation as long as the fruit is harvested early – a confectionery banana runt marshmallow smell can develop if fruit is too ripe. Early harvested fruit will pack enough acidic backbone to balance the wine.
Wine & Spirits 92 Points First produced by the Wetzel family in 1978, Sin Zin now comes from vineyards throughout Alexander Valley, from the valley floor to the benchlands and...
$ 6.49 $ 9.99
Hand harvested Central Coast fruit (primarily Grenache) provides fantastic strawberry, watermellon, guava, mint and rosebud. While plenty ripe, the vibrant acidity keeps things nice and fresh making this the perfect...
Stephen Tanzer's International Wine Cellar 90 Points Bright red. Spicy dark berries and cola on the deeply scented nose. Plush and appealingly sweet, offering juicy blackberry and peppery spice flavors...